Waverley College Library & Information Centre
Click here to search Oliver - your library resource search engine
Programs, Services and Events
Literacy and Reading Promotion
Each year the library conducts a series of events to promote reading.
- Teacher Reading Aloud with Drama performances
Here students in year groups are taken to the College's Performing Arts Centre for a dedicated session to listen to their teachers read extracts from their favourite stories.Â As well students from senior drama classes out of extracts from classic and contemporary literature.
- Writing Competition
Poems, short stories and travel memoirs are all called upon. Students receive acknowledgement through receiving certificates and gift vouchers at College academic school assemblies. Winners' creativity is shared, by publication within school magazines.
- Writing and Media Excursions
Each year a range of boys are taken to either the Sydney Writersâ€™ Festival, a tour of the ABC TV media centre, IMAX literature screenings or to the NSW State Library
- Author visits
Each year group listens to engaging Australian authors enthuse and encourage boys to engage with text and read for leisure and learning
- Year 7 Thinking Skills Course
The library collaborates with classroom teachers to assist students develop techniques to become problem solvers and to develop skills in using different learning styles and strategies.
- Year 8 and 9 Technology Infused Literature
The library collaborates with the English Department to introduce digital stories and online sources and tools for enjoying and understanding narratives and the world of multi-media rich literature.
Housed in the library each day after school. A great way for boys to access modern technology tools, resources and expert guidance in time management and assignment planning.
Students have access to 38 desktop computers and 25 wireless notebook computers. Wireless access for internet searching is available in the library.
A variety of technology tools and applications are available including digital video cameras and still cameras, ipods, ebooks, scanning, ipads and colour printing.
The full range of standard tools such as word processing, email, excel, graphics and photo editing, music and movie production software are all available.
6 computers are also available for searching the Library resource collection for websites, articles, DVD, magazines and books
A dedicated HSC study and revision guide collection, Area of Study supporting texts, in both print and electronic, databases, essay support, email and phone support are all available (see opening hours for times).
Electronic Information Resources
Online Databases available include: (see your College diaries for login details):
- Oliver Library Catalogue / search engine
- World Book Online (Home and school access)
- Grolier Encyclopaedia (Home and school access)
- Americana Encyclopaedia (Home and School access)
- The Sydney Morning Herald article database (Home and School access)
- Journal articles via ANZRC (Home and School access)
- Curriculum Corporation lesson extension and revision material for all subjects (Home and School access)
- LitFinder literature database offering full text poems, speeches and short stories
- TV News - this database allows you to search, view and save any TV news style program (available at school and home)
- Religious Education databases
- Resources can be borrowed from the library using the Waverley Photo ID card.
- Four fiction and Four non-fiction can be borrowed.
- The loan period is 2 weeks for Non fiction and 3 weeks for Fiction
- Reference books, magazines and newspaper are available on request.
- Videos are available for students' viewing in the library and for overnight loan.
- Renewals and reservations are available.
- Students will be charged for lost or damaged items.
E-mail us with any questions you may have.
The Libraries at Waverley College are contemporary 21st century learning spaces providing the link between information sources and information literacy so as to equip students to develop their potential.
We are committed to empower users to find answers for themselves through the acquisition of information skills.
The library conducts programs infused with rich learning activities embedded with technology and ICT to promote information literacy via the acquisition of critical thinking skills.
The library offers a bright and comfortable space for individual or group study, reflection, technology use and reading. The collection is current, appealing and of interest to young people. The library is staffed by caring and helpful adults who pride themselves in assisting students reach their potential.
Library Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday 8:00am to 4:45pm
Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm
Resources exclusively for staff and students of Waverley College provided by the library
See the College diary for login credentials or contact the senior library email@example.com
Australian Reference Information
This resource will cover your factual needs on all things Australian. This resource includes homework resources for parents along with project information. Daily local news feeds can be found here as well. There interactive maps are also helpful.
The New Book of Science will cover all your scientific needs. This resource provides links for biographies, science in the news topics, ask a scientist, projects, science facts and great science quizzes and puzzles.
Curriculum Corporation provides lesson materials for a select group of school subjects. Good if your sons are looking to revise or extent themselves. English, PDHPE, Science, Maths and HSIE are provided at three different levels, junior secondary, middle school and seniors.
Magazine and Newspaper Articles
Get current affairs full text articles here. Great for all subjects and especially to include in your bibliographies as evidence of research.
Online Full Text Literature
Use this source to find poems, speeches, short stories and literary information. Chiefly American, yet useful.
TV News Footage
To view and save anything screened on TV news programs this resource is excellent.Â Programs such as the 7.30 Report, 60 minutes, Australian Story, Nightly news and a lot more are available.
Sydney Morning Herald Database
For any past Herald articles this is the resource to use.
This link provides access to three encyclopedias
- New Book for Knowledge (years 7 - 8)
- Grolier Multimedia encyclopedia (years 9 - 10)
- AmericanaÂ (years 11 - 12)